Old March 6th 05, 03:33 AM
David

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:41:45 -0800, running dogg wrote:

David wrote:

I have been getting my news almost exclusively from International
Broadcsters for decades. I do read the local rags for local news.
The best day of my International Broadcasting life was when XM started
offering the BBC World Service 24/7 in HIFI, followed by Sirius with
BBCWS News and WRN. I have my shortwaves for hobby purposes, my news
craving has moved on.

What will you do when XM and Sirius drop the BBC or "censor" it the way
the satellite services do with CBC's As It Happens? I figure it will
happen about the time that the US government comes for our radios. You
seem very concerned about that, but not about the fact that anything
that comes over a satellite can be censored or dropped by the well
connected corporation that provides the satellite service. Like with TV
satellite, just TWO big corporations control satellite radio. THEY
control what you hear and don't hear. With shortwave, *I* control what I
hear (well, me and the ionosphere, but at least the ionosphere can't be
controlled by a big corporation or a government-yet). That alone makes
shortwave superior to a corporate controlled, fee for service satellite
media source. When the US government censors satellite as heavily as
they do broadcast and cable media, deciding what gets to be aired and
making sure there's nothing "seditious" there that might give the sheep
ideas, shortwave will still be there, still giving UNFILTERED news from
a multitude of countries (well, there's still the propaganda factor to
consider, but at least shortwave content is not passed through a couple
big all powerful entities), and still unblockable, uncensorable, and
defying all attempts at jamming. I suspect the day will come when
posessing a shortwave radio is a capital offense in the US, like it is
in North Korea, and the ultimate in news sources is illegal to listen to
precisely because the government cannot control it. Government can
control MW/FM/broadcast TV, cable TV, and satellite services, but they
can't control shortwave.

On 5 Mar 2005 16:01:21 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DaviD - Oh So America-Centric of 'you' !
.
MW/FM Radio is what ever your native country allows to be heard.
.
The Internet is what ever your native country allows in via the WWW.
.
Worldspace, Sirius and XM offer a very limited 'global' coverage.
.
The 1M, 10M, 100M or more Un-Reachable People of the World
International Shortwave Radio can be the Door-Way to News
and Information that is un-filtered by their native countries.
.
expand your mind - get the big picture - hear 'the rush' ~ RHF
.
.

The government doesn't censor regular radio. The regular radio
censors itself.

I didn't say I was going to sell all my radios. I'm keeping them
handy. Right now, though, I'm really digging the freedom to tune into
the Beeb or Radio Australia or Koln without any static.

The American people are so freaked-out and scatterbrained already the
government sees no need to be overtly restrictive on the flow of
information. People don't even notice the bad news when it's right in
front of them.

Might as well go down in flames with full-bandwidth audio, don't you
think?