Old September 15th 03, 01:44 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"William Warren" wrote in message
news:tuP8b.333844$cF.101080@rwcrnsc53...
"N1RZB" wrote in message
This question has probably been ask so many times it's worn out it's

welcome
but I have to ask.

What is the all time best AM rig that you can still get your hands on

and
with a little bit of work bring it back to life?

I'm not talking kilowatts. Good dependable Am communications.

I always favored the E.F. Johnson Viking Valiant. It's got the right

amount
of power to use without an amp, has very good audio, and has a lot of
enthusiastic supportters.

The Johnson Ranger is a close second, with it's lower power output being

its
only weakness.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill

Ranger is a good choice for hi quality audio. But the power is low.
however you can put that into a 'standard' amp and get some good output.
Bear in mind the maximum power for AM is 375 watts carrier output.

I have run a Ranger, with low drive, to a variety of amps in AB1 mode. Get
great results.

I also am running a Heathkit DX-60B, controlled carrier audio. I run that
into a homebrew single 3-500z, biased to what I call 'ultra linear'. I get
250 to 300 out with about 20 watts of drive. Works excellent.

Dan/W4NTI