Old August 29th 03, 06:46 AM
Tom Bruhns

Well, I really was hoping I'd shame someone (especially Garvin) into
_actually_ going through the math exercise. It's not all that
difficult, and as you've said before, and as I agree, they'd benefit
from actually doing it, and also from thinking about what's going on.
Some of the more subtle physics (such as phase shifts associated with
skin effect) isn't so easily accessible, but surely these things are
to those who are willing. It seems like everyone agrees fairly
readily that Zo=Vf/If=-Vr/Ir (to a good approximation, anyway), and
also to the couple other things you need to let you find Vr/Vf, but
things rather rapidly seem to fall apart along the way to Vr/Vf. I've
given up trying to understand why, Reg, so I might as well get a bit
of dry humor out of it all.

Actually, I think you _did_ state the value once or twice recently in
these annals.

Cheers,
Tom

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message ...
Tom, to save everybody a lot of trouble -

The greatest theoretical value of the magnitude of the
reflection coefficient occurs when the angle of Zo is
-45 degrees, and the terminating impedance is a pure
inductive reactance of |Zo| ohms.

Do you think I should have mentioned this when I
began this and other threads by saying a reflection
coefficient greater than unity can occur?

The riot police can now return to barracks.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.