Old September 17th 03, 11:49 AM
Wayne

Thanks very much - you're absolutely right, I did mean 1 kHz for the
offset, not 1 MHz. Your explanation of the passband just clicked, and
I now see why - 1.05 kHz it is!

Please feel free to add this story to your site - and like you, I
enjoy operating equipment that feels 'real'.

Regards,

Wayne

On 17 Sep 2003 03:11:15 GMT, No Spam (ckh) wrote:

Good for you. I'd like to add your story to my boatanchor/heathkit
website, www.kiyoinc.com/heathstuff.html

I've been refurbing SB-303's and have an SB-401 that needs work.

There is something satisfying about working on these old radios.

I think you mean offset 1 kHz for the heathkit bfo.

The problem is that, like Collins, Heath used one SSB filter
and then moved the oscillator from one side to the other.

If the passband is 2.1 kHz, then the shift would be up or
down 1.05 kHz to move the carrier to the edge of the passband from
the center. At least I think that's what you're seeing.

The other reason that I find the boatanchors to be so enjoyable is
that the controls are all analog and direct. You can feel the
bearings when you turn the knobs.

de ah6gi/4