Old March 7th 05, 08:22 PM
Pete KE9OA

It isn't a bad receiver............maybe I will pull it out of the basement
and fix that UHF convertor.

Pete

"Michael Black" wrote in message

"Pete KE9OA" ) writes:
Probably, my favorite was the Pro 3A...........this unit had a crystal
filter for the NBFM mode, but unfortunately, the dial had a bit of
backlash
and the LO had pretty high phase noise, as evidenced by an increase in
the
noise floor when tuning close to a strong signal. It is still sitting in
my
basement...........I have to repair the UHF front end.

Pete

And that's one of the better ones that I was thinking of. I just
remembered I keep handy Popular Electronic's "Communications Handbook"
from 1973, which was an annual mostly a buyer's guide that the
magazine put out. It lists a price of $179.95 in 1973, and of course
had 30-50, 152-174 and 450-470MHz. Unfortunately, it doesn't list
any of the portables from Radio Shack, to give an idea of how much less
they sold for.

Michael