Old March 8th 05, 02:07 AM
Gary Schafer

If I remember right there are several "dogs" on the shaft that control
how many turns the pto shaft can make. If they are not installed
properly it will limit the revolutions. They are right next to the pto
housing on the shaft on the outside. Unless I am getting mixed up with
the collins pto's. About a half dozen or so washer like with a bent
tab on each.

73
Gary K4FMX

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:23:17 -0500, "W8KZW" wrote:

Before I tear this thing apart, I thought I'd "go to the well" to see if
anyone has had the same problem.

I acquired an exceptional SB-301, but the tuning range is restricted.

The LMO is supposed to tune 500 KC - from X.0 to X.5. Mine physically stops
at X.055 ... in other words, the counterclockwise "end of travel thunk"
comes too early, and won't let me tune the bottom 55 kc of the band. The
clockwise "end of travel thunk" comes where it should. These "thunks" both
sound and feel the same .... as you would expect them to: solid and
defined, neither end like the feel / sound of a coil getting caught up
inside a tube. The tuning is smooth and unobstructed across the full range.

All told, I get around 432 kc of mechanical travel instead of 500 kc.

The LMO output is supposed to be from 5.0 to 5.5 Mhz. Mine ranges from
appx. 5.014 to 5.444 Mhz.

The readout is correct - a signal transmitted on 7.2 Mhz. is received on 7.2
Mhz per the dial.

The construction of this receiver is about the best I have ever seen on an
SB-XXX kit, so I don't think it's a question of shoddy craftsmanship.
Visual review of the mounting of the LMO, dial, knob, shaft, and 100KC
insert into the spiral on the back of the tuning dial all seems to be
perfect, with no obstructions showing anywhere.

So, that's what I'm looking at ... essentially a perfect LMO, but with
abbreviated end-to-end travel.

My hope is that I'm just missing something stupid, and it is pointed out to
me so I don't completely disassemble the unit if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for the input.

73,
Jeff
W8KZW