Old March 8th 05, 05:51 AM
Axl

Richard wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 03:08:19 GMT Axl wrote:

Ok, I had a Cobra 25 WX NW ST.

Lately it was acting strange, like...with the squelch all the way down
on a dead channel, I still would hear no static. After futzing with it,
it seemed like if I jiggled the power cord, it would come in and out.
Later it seemed not to be the power specifically, but seemed like any
time i tapped on the back panel it might come in and go back out.

So I figured this was a short and looked for a new radio. Not being
heavily into this, I went with the Cobra 75 wx st, mainly because its
nice and compact and considering I'm in a Honda accord, the less space
it takes up, the better.

So when I hooked it up tonight, it didnt seem like anyone could hear me.
So I got my SWR meter out and did a test. Both channels 1 and 40 were
peaking well over 3 to 1. I read somewhere that's an indication of a
short in the antenna. Is this ALL that could cause this?

Might also be a pinched coax.
If you're case isn't grounded, it's relying on the antenna ground which is
not a good idea.
Since most new car interiors are mainly plastic, it's difficult to find a
good ground.
Find yourself a screw or bolt mounted into the firewall and tap that for a
ground.
Before you go replacing the antenna, check the coax for a break.
Use a standard ohm meter on both ends.

Then again, it could be nothing more than a poor ground on the antenna
itself.

If you can, install the radio(s) in another vehicle and see if the same
thing happens.

Well the weird thing with this unit is, the actual installed component
is no more than a 2x1 inch box almost, since all the controls are on the
mic itself. One of the suggested places for mounting this part is under
the seat...would running a ground to some metal part of the seat track
work you think?

Of course, the other problem with the ground issue is as I said, the
power right now us run through an A/C adapter. Although tech. speaking
that should be grounded as well.

Ive checked the antenna coax, no breaks however the threaded end is bent
where the wire meets the connector since my old CB unit was upright
close to the floor and didnt leave the coax much room, so over time it
kind of developed this 90 degree angle.

What is aggravating is I noticed the coax I connect my SWR meter with is
kinda messed up at the ends...so who knows if its even giving an
accurate reading, although I'd be willing to bet it is since I cant seem
to even get a radio check response on the highway.