Old March 8th 05, 02:26 PM
N9OGL

From N9OGL'S BLOG

http://n9oglvoice.blogspot.com/

Information Bulletins

There has been some bitching and whining on the newsgroup
rec.radio.amateur.policy about my information bulletin. The complaining
comes from Amateur Radio operators who feel that information bulletins
aren't suppose to be "opinionated" yet, when I repeatly asked them what
rule or ruling from the FCC states that information bulletins can't be
opinionated, they never responded except to badmouth my grammar. So
lets look at the history and regulations governing Information
Bulletins.
To start lets look at the definitions as prescribed under Part 97.
Under Part 97.3(a)(10) Broadcasting is defined as Transmissions
intended for reception by the general public, either direct or relayed.
While under Part 97.3(a)(26) Information bulletins are defined as A
message directed only to amateur radio operators consisting solely of
subject mater of direct interest to the amateur radio service. The only
other rule governing information bulletins can be found in Part
97.111(b)(6) which deals with Authorized One Way Transmissions and it
states "Transmissions necessary to disseminate information bulletins".
No where in either 97.3(a)(26) nor in 97.111(b)(6) does it state a
information bulletin can not be opinionated. I can't really figure out
how it came to be that amateur's feel that other amateurs can run
bulletins that are opinionated. They are not illegal, nor is there any
rules prohibiting such transmission. Under 47 USC 326 the FCC is banned
from controlling the content of any station, except for obscene and
indecent material. So where and how did the amateur come up the notion
that information bulletins can't be opinionated? Many amateur feel that
opinions are not information, This however is not true, here in the
United States this country was based on the belief of the free flow of
idea's. Information is 50% fact and 50% opinion, and without the
opinions of people the free flow idea's will be eliminated. The problem
I see is that amateur's don't want other amateur's to be opinionated
and/or afraid that some of those amateur's opinion might be the deep
down the truth of problems within the service. The other thing is, many
amateur's feel that opinionated program, even if is about amateur
related is Broadcasting. This is not true either; As stated above
broadcasting is programming directed to the general public. There's
where the line is drawn, Broadcasting is programming which is directed
to the general public, while information bulletins is programs directed
to the amateur in general. In closing No matter what amateur's on that
newsgroup thinks, the N9OGL SHOW is a program directed only to the
amateur radio service, not the general public. The N9OGL SHOW will be
on the air for a long time and I will fight, to keep it on the air.

Todd Daugherty N9OGL
THE N9OGL SHOW
20 METERS
SATURDAY'S 4.00 PM TO 5.00 PM CST