Old March 8th 05, 05:19 PM
Jeff Mayner

axl wrote:
Vinnie S. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 03:08:19 GMT, Axl wrote:

Ok, I had a Cobra 25 WX NW ST.

I heard those new cobras suffered from quality problems. The had
problems with cold solder joint and such. Take a quick look.

Vinnie S.

Im electrically challenged, can you explain in dumb terms? lol

Well I went out and bought a new antenna....from **** shack. I'm going
to get a new Cobra one tonight, found a place that has them. The
antenna seemed to really help reception, however it seems that I'm
still not heard (at least well). I'm hearing a lot of 'car sounds' in
it too. Windows mechanics, washer fluid spraying, hell, even
acceleration, which actually I heard before too, but this seems
worse, probably because I'm using that A/C adapter. It's driving me
crazy though.
I really need to get the power wired properly. With a good ground
would this be eliminated? I wish I knew how to do it. I'm starting to
think half the problem is Best Buy doing a hack job installing some
other components like my new stereo or my XM. Who knows.

ALSO I noticed the original ends of the power wires were soldered. I
stripped some more of the shielding so I could wrap the wires into the
adapter better and noticed further down its just copper. The solder on
the tips doesnt make any difference does it? Is this what you were
talking about.

Look. I mean no disrespect, but, you need to find a competant shop and take
it there and have them work out your problems. It sounds like you have
multiple problems and it most likely will be too difficult to figure out all
of them in this limited forum.

The one thing you can do that will help you more than anything else is to
get a Wilson 1000, magnet mount antenna, or equivelent, and have someone
"hardwire" your radio. Try and stay away from Radio Shaq antennas. You're
getting all that noise because your going through the lighter _plus_ your
electrical connections (antenna) sound like they're spotty at best. The coax
you're using sounds suspect. Your grounding solutions sound suspect. In
other words, you've done the right thing and attempted the install yourself
but you obviously need some help. Don't be stubborn. ;-)

There are many websites around that give basic information that willl help
you in diagnosing, and repairing your problems. What I would do, First
Thing, like right now, is go to a decent shop, have them install the radio
and tune the antenna. While they do it WATCH every move they make and don't
be afraid to ask questions. Then, do some web-searches and find some info
that will help you understand what works and what doesn't. After reading all
that you can find, start experimenting and you'll learn more. The idea is to
get yourself on the air, right?

The radio you have is a pretty good one for it's type. I had one and stuck
it in several different cars and it worked very well. Had it in, at one time
or another, a Mitsu Lancer, a Land Cruiser, and '95 Probe GT. Worked in all
of them. It is not a radio that you are going to want to spend time
modifying. It's just a good, basic radio that works well as designed.

I would also suggest, at least until you know a hell of a lot more than you
do now, to resist the temptation to modify your radio or buy any amplifiers.
A lot of guys that I've been on the radio with go out and buy all kinds of
"hardware" before they know what the hell they're doing and end up out of
the hobby after a year because they become dissallusioned, etc. Also, a lot
of guys in your area are going to want to sell you "stuff" to make you
"loud" like them. Resist this! At least at first. You need to find out what
you can about what's legal and what's not, then make your own decision if
you want to go down that road.

Learn the 10-codes, and their local use, and listen to who talks in your
area for awhile and see how folks are. Learn radio etiquette, etc. You'll
quickly find out who is cool to talk to and who's not. If you're up front
and acknowledge you're a newby, most will be cool with you. There's almost
nothing worse than a "new" guy that barges in to conversations that might
have been going on for years without knowing what's what. Stay out of the
radio flame wars and try not to take sides in fights, etc. In other words,
learn who's who in your area.

You'll learn all this stuff. Just be patient and you'll have a great time
doing it.

Get your problems sorted out by a competent radio guy first though. Good
equipment, used in a responsible manner, will make a good first impression.

Sorry for the bucket-mouthing. I just think that if more folks that get into
the hobby knew some of these things upfront, there would be less folks that
get out of the hobby so quickly. It can be fun as hell, or, it can be a
nightmare. Up to you.

Jeff