Old March 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Phil Nelson

Default Nice choice of grandpas (Hallicrafters SX-88 as gift)

Why didn't I have a grandpa like this? The following email just came over
the transom from someone visiting my website:

I'm a 17 year old boy and I have a SX-88 radio. It was
working fine before transportation from my grandfather's
house to my house but now it's like there's no power
at all, lights in front dont even light up. What should I
check for, what you think it could be ?

I will advise the lad as best I can, of course.

The only things I could afford to buy at my grandpa's farm auction in the
early 1970s were a worn putty knife, some fishing lures, and a battered milk
can from their dairy barn. There was also a 1950s Esquire girlie calendar
that hung in his machine shed near the tractor, but I guess the censors
tossed that onto the burn pile down by the sloo before the auction.

Ah, well . . .

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html