Old September 19th 03, 04:27 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:08:13 GMT, Doug wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:45:22 -0400, wrote:

I'm planning on getting a Yaesu FT-817 in the next few months, and am
looking for an amplifier that I can use for base station use to kick
it up to a reasonable output (100-200 watts).

Wellll...This is the "boat anchor" newsgroup so if you really want to
give that thing some vitamins with muscle...Hunt for a EF Johnson Amp.
There is the Thunderbolt and one other. One ran a pair of 4-400s
Either would be loafing along at a couple hundred watts .

Are there any older linear amplifiers that can be driven to a
reasonable output with 5 watts of drive out of the 817?

Guess it depends on what you call reasonable. :-))

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

I'm looking for something that was built and sold before the FCC
decided to punish the innocent instead of the guilty with their
kill-a-fly-with-a-sledgehammer prohibition on low-drive linears and
10-meter band capability.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT

About the only amp that would nearly meet your specs, that I know of,
was the Ten-Tec amp sold for the Argonaut.
I think it was the model 405. It runs about 50watts output for 5 watts
input. They periodically show up on eBay, etc.

Doug