Old March 9th 05, 08:44 AM
ckh

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:22:03 UTC, Chuck Harris
wrote:

He is thinking of a PTO where a slug could get jammed inside the
coil form.

The LMO has a shaft with rings on it. The rings have stops that
prevent you from making too many turns. It gives you five turns of
the shaft.

Each stop engages the next ring and is, in turn, engaged by the
previous.

I can't quite visualize how that simple mechanism could be
defective.

Visualize what happens when two or more of the range limiting
disks get frozen together by gummed up grease.

I just spun an LMO from lock to lock, 521 kHz on the dial. How do
you get from that to his 432?

I have an LMO in my parts bin. Lemme see....

Ah-HAH!

There are 6 tabs, not 5.

Each ring is about 86 kHz.

521
434
347
260
173
86

The width of the tab must be about 14 kHz... seems too wide but
maybe.

de ah6gi/4

Within the LMO, there is a typical worm driven capacitor. No
obvious way that can be defective either.

Although it is harder, if part of the worm gear has a block of
hardened grease in its tooth, it will jamb the mechanism before
the capacitor can turn its full range. Usually there is enough
mechanical advantage in the worm gear assy that you could over
come the block but 30 year old grease can become quite hard.

The question is, how many turns does the big plastic disk make?
Should be a little over 5. If your problem is mechanical, then it's
strictly a matter of counting the turns.

His wording was difficult, but I got the impression that the markings
on the dial are exactly correct with the received frequency. So that
would mean that there is something mechanical wrong. I would bet on
the range limiting disks being frozen solid with grease or rust.

-Chuck Harris