Old March 10th 05, 01:14 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"roger carroll" wrote:

Sorry David your personal political views are showing....I'm talking
about the sound of the station. If KFI was "left wing" it would still
be the best sounding station in LA nothing to do with politics,,,they
do everything the correct way and tied for number #1 in LA. rc

KFI is 50kW with a real nice antenna.

Actually, it is 25 kw with a top-loaded 1/8 wave vertical. There is no
"nice" antenna anymore.

Well I found this on Radio Magazine
http://beradio.com/searchresults/?terms=KFI&ord=d

KFI Tower Felled by Plane Crash
La Mirada, CA - Dec 19, 2004 - The Associated Press reports that a
private plane crashed into the tower of KFI-AM at 9:45 a.m. on Dec. 19.
The single-engine Cessna 182 brought the 760' tower down. The two people
on the plane were killed. Their identities have not yet been released.

The plane was en route to Fullerton Airport from El Monte when it
crashed. Fullerton airport is about one mile from the tower site. The
FAA reports that the pilot did not issue any distress reports.

KFI's tower has resisted earthquakes and a brush with a private plane
once before. The tower survived the previous air incident. The tower's
guy wires were replaced in March 2004 after 47 years of use.

KFI reports that the station was off the air for about an hour before
switching to an auxiliary tower at the same site at about 5kW. The
station is licensed for 50kW into the main antenna.

I have heard them claim 50kW in the past and I thought 640 was one of
the old "clear channels."

Did they reduce power after putting up a new antenna?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California