Old March 10th 05, 01:35 AM
Lucky

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
"jimg" wrote in message

anyone have any reasons/recommendations to buy the optional 9MHz and
455kHz filters for swl? universal radio wants over $200 for the
narrower AM filters, half the price of the receiver itself....

or do you think i should just get a ten-tec...i really don't want to
spend more than $600.....

jimg
Oregon
USA

I've been using my R-75 with the stock filters for two years. I also
have experience with the Drake R8 series and the Kenwood R-5000 to
compare the stock R-75 performance to. IMO, you really dont need any
additional filters in the R-75. It does just fine with what it comes
with. In the situations where you would need a different filter, there
are tricks you can do with the radio to make up for it. You would get
some use out of an optional filter, but it wont be worth the money. The
beauty of the R-75 is that it is a very low priced receiver that has
performance specs well above its cost. It is a SUPREME radio in ssb, for
DX'ing and utility. It is an "adequate" radio for broadcast listening.
The best use of extra money on the R-75 is to buy a nice external
speaker. The next step would be the Kiwa sync and audio mod. Other then
that, it is what it is.... It will never be a top flight radio for
broadcast listening like the R8b. Spending money on optional filters
defeats the purpose of getting an R-75. That being, value for dollar.

Just my 2 cents.

BaSically, I agree. I pondered the idea of getting the extra filters,
but given my listening preferences, there is no way I'd get my money's
worth out of them. The most useful thing you can get for the Icom is the
DSP filter, which it invariably comes with today, anyhow. And with the
exellent ECSS capability, I don't even miss the Kiwa mod.

Tony

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

I agree. For $485 I have DSP and a bunch of filters I can play with. Well
worth the money.

Lucky