Old March 10th 05, 04:40 PM

Boy, the word "surplus" brings back memories. When I was growing

up
in Detroit ('50's-'60's) there was a huge store in town called

"Gell's
Civilian PX". Anything - and I mean *anything* - ever made for or

used
by the military could be found there for amazing prices. More than

one
buddy of mine had a SW receiver that was military surplus - heavy,

dark,
muscular-looking cabinets with huge dials. Then, almost overnight it

seems, the "Military Surplus Store" was a thing of the past, for the
most part. There is one near me right now. Canteen covers and
post-Desert Storm polyester field jackets is about the extent of the
true "military surplus" they have.

Tony

So, why did the real military surplus stores disappear? I'd think that
the military has just as much, if not more, aging items it could sell
off. What happened?

Steve