Old March 10th 05, 11:36 PM
dave.harper

xpyttl wrote:
Hi Jason

Nice questions, let me try to answer a few ..

wrote in message
ups.com...

1. i've seen transmitter schematics that were simple, and others

that
were complex. as a general rule of thumb, are the more complex ones
trying to compensate for frequency drift, or maybe eliminate higher
harmonics? how efficient and/or stable are the simple transmitter
schematics?

One obvious thing is that CW transmitters tend to be simple, SSB
transmitters complex. But there are a thousand design variables.

One big
one is the complexity of the ICs employed. Today you can have a very

stable
VFO with just a few parts. You tend to pay a little bit of a price

in phase
noise, but frequency drift is not an issue. With an analog VFO, you

can add
a lot of complexity trying to get around frequency drift, but phase

noise is
never an issue. Years ago, all you had was analog. A few years ago,

DDS
(direct digital synthesis) was complex and expensive. Today, analog

VFOs
tend on the expensive side! It is similar with amplifiers. In many

radios,
all, or most, of the PA is in a single brick, instead of a fistfull

of
parts. Ditto with almost everything up and down the chain.

Frequency is also an issue and again that is changing with

technology. A
few years ago, it was hard to get directly to VHF. You typically had
several oscillators getting mixed up, frequency multiplied, etc.

This was
especially true if you had an analog VFO because it is very hard to

get
stability at VHF, and multiplying the frequency also multiplies the

drift in
an analog VFO. There are still reasons you might want to do some

mixing up
to get to VHF with a DDS VFO, but DDS parts up into the gigahertz

range are
now cheap parts.

It was only a few years ago that a DDS VFO cost hundreds of dollars.

Today
you can buy a chip with a VHF synthesizer and amplifier and modulator

for

Good info to know. I was kinda looking around to make a (mostly) IC
transmitter like that... (anything 70cm and under). Are you aware of
any chip PN's or schematics I could dive into to learn?

Thanks,
Dave