Old March 10th 05, 10:05 PM
running dogg

David Eduardo wrote:

dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"roger carroll" wrote:

Sorry David your personal political views are showing....I'm talking
about the sound of the station. If KFI was "left wing" it would still
be the best sounding station in LA nothing to do with politics,,,they
do everything the correct way and tied for number #1 in LA. rc

KFI is 50kW with a real nice antenna.

Actually, it is 25 kw with a top-loaded 1/8 wave vertical. There is no
"nice" antenna anymore.

When did they reduce power? Everything I check still shows them at 50 kW,
including the FCC data.

They lost the licensed tower in an aircraft collision late last year. They
are running an existing
auxiliary tower in a nonconforming operation at half-power until such time
as the
half-waver can be rebuilt at the current site or a new site found. The
auxiliary tower, which was put into use within a couple of hours of the
aircraft tragedy, can not handle full power as it is very short.

Getting permits to rebuild the tower may take many more months. During this
time, KFI is running 25 kw. It is not necessary to re-license a station for
a bona fide emergency operation.

The tower can not immediately be rebuilt as it qualifies as a totally new
structure, subject to today's codes and regulations, not those in effect
when the old tower was built in 1947.

A number of area broadcast engineers or engineering departments have
"souvenirs" of the old tower. We have a piece of ATU insulation, a shard
from the beacon and a piece of an insulator, as well as some paint flakes in
both white and orange. .

When KDKA's tower was knocked down in a storm in 1995 they decided to
cut it up and sell it as souvenirs. I have a round piece of it, frozen
in lucite. The tower dated back to 1920 and was the world's first
commercial radio tower. I can't remember how much it cost, but the cost
was a donation to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.