Old March 10th 05, 11:41 PM
* Dr. Artaud *

wrote in news:1110485044.128511.202680
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Sorry to hear your problem. According to the following link and quoted
text, it is a common problem, and requires manually re-entering all the
frequencies. (in the absence of a programming device).

"My radio locked up and reloaded completely different memories!
First, some background: Sangean has two versions of the 909. One version
for the US (and Canada?) and another version everywhere else. All 909's
have a mask ROM that is programmed with the radio's firmware, and a set
of station memories for listeners in Europe and Asia.

European and Asian consumers get this model. US-bound radios undergo one
more step before they're shipped: The radio is programmed with a
selection of frequencies for listeners in the US, selected by the famous
DXer Glenn Hauser.

Unfortunately, under certain conditions, the radio locks up in a mode
where it expects to be programmed at the factory, and since no
programming is forthcoming, it resets the memories to the original
defaults stored in ROM.

According to one Sangean representative, this is a very common tech
support issue with the radio, for which a few radios are actually
returned for reprogramming.

Barring development of a third-party 909 reprogrammer, you'll have to
either reenter your favorite frequencies manually or send it back to
Sangean.

More information on the 909's memory system is available."

http://members.verizon.net/~vze20h45...h.html#memloss

(The FAQ author has had his radio lock up on him no less than three
times! But the radio still has all the memory presets it was purchased
with. So it goes.)

The frequencies reset as follows, only a portion of the text is quoted:
"Before After

1.Australa DW
2.Austria SWF3
3.Canada BR
4.China DLF"

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...y.html#circuit

The intended frequency list is available he http://tinyurl.com/4s5rb
if the link still works. This link is to an HTML rendition of the DX-398
Owners manual available at Radio Shack. At the top of the HTML page is a
link to the PDF format if you prefer, or use this link:
http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc66/66340.pdf

Good luck, and with patience you will soon have those frequencies re-
entered.

Dr. Artaud

I live on the west coast of the US. I have a DX-398 that is about 6
years old. Recently I changed my "world" time from London to New York,
leaving my home time as Los Angeles. The trouble being that after I
made the change, I got a completely different station list (I get DW,
BBC --D--, RFI, etc.) I would like to know how to set this list back
to its factory defaults.