Old March 11th 05, 12:34 AM
David Eduardo

"running dogg" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

When KDKA's tower was knocked down in a storm in 1995 they decided to
cut it up and sell it as souvenirs. I have a round piece of it, frozen
in lucite. The tower dated back to 1920 and was the world's first
commercial radio tower. I can't remember how much it cost, but the cost
was a donation to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

The hospital got it wrong... and I have several of the Lucite-embedded
slices of steel.

In about 1928 or 1929 KDKA built the tower that came down in 1995. It
actually fell on the first try, and had to be rebuilt. There was an article,
including a cover picture, in an 1929 issue of Radio World. Interestingly,
they built a ring of 1/8 wave towers around the big tower with a curtain
hung from them to attempt to reduce low angle sky wave. I never saw a report
anywhere on whether this worked.