Old July 15th 03, 07:40 PM
Reg Edwards

The most simple example of a constant-resistance network is a capacitor
in
series with a resistor, both in parallel with an inductor in series with

resistor. When all 4 components have the same value in ohms (R) then the
input resistance is a constant resistance R from DC to infinity.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Since the reactive components change reactance with frequency, Reg's

network
may be a little hard to realize in practice. Try making the inductance

equal
R^2*C Reg. You might have better luck. You also might want to review
Everitt's
take on this subject, starting on page 284 of the second edition of his

book,
_Communication Engineering_. His ideas are quite enlightening.

73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Tom, sorry to be so disappointing. My Little formula for calculating L and
C for the constant resistance network is quite correct.

When designing constant-resistance networks it is convenient to have a
design-frequency.

It can be the frequency at which I said Xc = Xl = R ohms.

So we can now calculate both L and C without prior knowledge of either of
them. After a little arithmetic it will be quite enlightening to discover ,
as you say, that L = C*R^2, but which is a less-convenient starting point.

In addition to a design frequency there can also be a design time constant.
---
Reg, G4FGQ