Old March 13th 05, 12:45 AM
Edward

Thanks, Ed-
I should have told you it is a Ranger I.
The mic connection on chassis has only one center input. Base on this
it is not a PPT relay per your explanation of requiring two
connections. I also have no ac terminals on back of set for any relay.
The relay does look like it is a double-pole double- throw.
This set apparently has a lot of other mods based on tracing some of
the wiring when I replaced all the caps.
When I first tried to load into a 5o watt light bulb, it blew the
fuse. It has been over 20 years since I loaded a tube transmitter. hi
hi I changes fuse and tried again. It does not seem to load. The
relay does click when I change from stand-by to fone or to cw.
I used my key and sent some code and can hear faint clean cw signals
on my Sony Sw RX set when tuned to the sending freq.
There is no sound when I put on tune position during tune up.

Does any of this give you any clews as to where I should look for the
problem.
I should also point out the relay and meter sometime do absolutely
nothing. I suspect have a short somewhere ??
Ed

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:06:09 GMT, Edward Knobloch
wrote:

Edward wrote:
Thanks, Ed-
Now I have to figure out what the relay mounted on ledge with the two
small tubs is intended to do. I have problems tracing sets with no
documents for revisions.

A relay mounted on the shelf near the mode switch
is the recommended (by Johnson) location for a push to talk relay.
I'm pretty sure the mod appeared in later editions of the Ranger manual,
and it appears on pages 18 and 19 of the Ranger II operating
manual. The recommended Ranger II version
uses a double-pole-double-throw relay,
one pole for controlling the rf stages in a.m. mode,
and one pole for switching the antenna relay control
voltage at the rear panel jack.

Since your Ranger has a push to talk (PTT) relay, it should have
two connections plus ground at the mic jack.
Grounding one of the mic jack connections, while the rig
is in a.m. mode, should cause the relay to pull in,
and the rig to transmit.

My Ranger II has a nice addition:
A previous owner used 4 pole PTT relay, and he used
the extra two poles to switch the screen voltage
to the modulator tubes, and to control the red
indicator lamp on the Ranger II.
By opening the screen supply to the modulator tubes
in standby, the modulator tubes draw no current.
The tubes last longer, and there is less heat in the cabinet.
In fact, my Ranger II has the original
Johnson-labeled modulator tubes.

You can get a Ranger II Owner's manual, showing the PTT mod,
at http://bama.sbc.edu
This site is mirrored at http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/

Regards,
Ed Knobloch