Old March 13th 05, 04:34 AM
John Franklin

I had a wilson 4 band verticle mounted on top of a 30 foot tower with
4 radials run out for each band, in short if I could hear 'em I could work
'em. It was that simple........ Noise seems to be more pronounced with
verticle polarization. I did have a 40M inverted vee on that tower as well
and used to switch between the antennas. Since I was on the west coast at
the time, the east coasters were stronger on the verticle than the inverted
vee. I would in NO way say my tests were very scientific, just looked at the
S meter readings. Yes it was an actual meter movement (IC-720) had one. I
hope this helps you in some way with what you are trying to accomplish.

John
"Kristinn Andersen, TF3KX" wrote in message
om...
I have an inverted-V, approximately resonant on 40, 20, 15 and 10m.
SNIP
Now, this leads me to wondering if the radio waves arriving at my QTH
tend to be largely horizontally polarized on the higher frequencies?
Or can there be any other explanation that "good" verticals, even 5/8
wavelengths long are never better than the inv-V. Any thoughts?
73 - Kristinn, TF3KX