Old March 14th 05, 02:46 AM
Clarence_A

"Justín Käse" wrote
Clarence_A wrote
"Korbin Dallas" wrote
wrote:

Greetings
Does anyone know if typical schedule 40 PVC pipe is UV
resistant? I
have some antenna projects in mind that will be built from
this stuff.
I suppose I can paint it for some extra protection,
but I was wondering if it is necessary?

Thanks
Jim/K2TL

No, PVC is not UV Resistant...

I have an antenna in a PVC case which has been
on my roof (in the SUN) for over ten years.
When Can I expect the PVC to fail?

At some future next time when a gusty wind applies
enough vibration to cause the brittle case to stress
fracture and crumble.
Note* - Gusty winds are often accompanied by
precipitation which will give your newly exposed
antenna a good soaking.
-- JK

Can't tell what you are trying to say.
I live in California in an area where we get 70 to 90 MPH winds
several times a year, sometimes the (water proof) PVC gets rained
on, but not much (11 to 36 inches a year. Sun for about 325 Days
a year. Still see no damage of any sort. I do not however expect
it to last forever, but then neither will I!

BTW: the antenna is Aluminum wire and the water would not damage
it either, but then I can't hang the wire out in the wind! It is
just several strands of #15 electric fence wire. (Four per
element.)