Old March 13th 05, 09:52 PM
Harold E. Johnson

I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a receiver
for
the VHF 108-118 Mhz band. I've found lots of great ideas and reference
designs
out there but they're all constructed of parts made from "unobtainium"

(e.g.
old
MC13135/6, MC1350, etc., etc.)...

Can anyone on this group point me to some designs/ideas for how to

construct
something made from "actually available" components???

The band in question is AM and the 13135 is an FM chip with discriminator. A
perfectly fine lineup for your needs is any of the DBM's from Mini Circuits
Labs or build you own with a few diodes and a couple of ferrite beads, the
MC 1496/1596 is still very much available, even made the transition to SSOP
if your tastes run to small and surface mount. Low side injection with an AD
9851 or high side with a 9951 DDS. With the channel spacing up there, a
selection of an inexpensive Murata filter will do your selectivity, and
audio is a VERY wide selection.

W4ZCB