Old March 14th 05, 03:27 AM
running dogg

I used to know a tv set repairman guy about fifty years ago.One evening
I got invited to have supper with his family and his tv set was the
worst looking tv set I ever saw in my life before,but it worked great
though and most of the time he had the cabinet off of his tv set,only
the chassis of the tv set sitting on a table,his tv set running just
like brand new.Caps and recaping,what does that mean? TV sets are
actually Radios,the main difference is there are cathode ray tubes with
photons "painting" the pictures on the tube.
cuhulin

My grandfather repaired radios and TVs at about the same time, and even
though he was poor he always had a TV set at a time when TVs were only
for the rich. His TVs were customer rejects-if a TV needed more repair
than it was worth the customer would say "keep it" and he'd bring it
home and fix it for his own personal use. Capacitors or "caps" are a
major part of any electronics design. Back in the tube days most caps
were made of paper and wax and tended to go bad easily. If you find an
old tube radio/TV that hasn't been used in 40 years, all the paper caps
will long since have rotted away inside and will need to be replaced in
order for the set to work. A classic indicator of just one bad cap in a
tube radio is hearing a loud hum in place of a signal.