Old March 14th 05, 04:08 PM
clvrmnky

On 10/03/2005 8:33 PM, starman wrote:
clvrmnky wrote:

On 09/03/2005 10:10 PM, wrote:
The best reception for me was more like 1400 hours, or so. I don't what
it is, but my daytime reception is fantastic lately.

-- cm

The earth happens to be (a coincidence) closest to the sun during winter
in the northern hemisphere. This means the ionosphere receives the most
radiation during daytime which makes it support propagation better,
especially the higher frequencies. The opposite happens in the northern
summer when the earth is farthest from the sun. This is why summer
propagation in the north is not so good in the daytime.

True, but I was referring to the lower frequencies (e.g., the 7390 kHz
that is the subject of the OP) which typically suffer during daytime
hours. Generally, I'm finding even lower, directed at West Africa
transmissions are coming in quite strongly for me in Eastern North America.

When first got my radio I just got noise around 30M during the day, or
maybe just local Hams on SSB.

I have been experimenting with different antennas, so maybe it's been
this way all winter, and one of my experiments is working better for me.