Old September 23rd 03, 08:36 PM
K5DH

MW,

You just described the venerable Heathkit HW-16! Here are
the basic characteristics:
- All tube-type (OK, it has one transistor, but only one!)
- covers 250 KHz of bandspread on 80, 40, and 15 meters
- CW only
- VFO receive
- crystal transmit (can also use HG-10B external VFO)
- built-in 115 VAC p/s
- full break-in keying with sidetone
- single-signal receiver
- power output is about 65 Watts on 80, 50 Watts on 40,
and 35 Watts on 15
These can be bought in working condition for about $75 give
or take a few, and the VFO goes for $50 to $75. Crystals are
getting "spendy" these days ($10 to $20 each these days). I
would spend the extra money and buy the VFO. For about $150,
you'll have a lot of fun! Oh, you will need a speaker, too.
Any 8-Ohm communications speaker will do fine.

I just picked up an HW-16 with HG-10B at a swap meet this past
weekend. I got 'em running last night, although I still need
to perform alignment on the VFO and give it a light cleaning.
No, they're not for sale... been wanting a set for myself for
a while now!

73,
Dean K5DH

In article ,
says...

Hello,

Can someone suggest a CW only, all tube tranceiver for me? Nothing
QRP, more like between 20 and 100 watts, no transmitter/receiver
separate boxes, and no SSB transmitting capability. I want glowing
tubes and CW, in one box (power supply, of course, on the side).

Thanks!

MW