Old March 14th 05, 11:34 PM
Henry Kolesnik

It would be easier to convert an old AM/FM tuner or AM/FM stereo and you can
get them all over the place for a few bucks. Tube types are collector
items but the older SS ones with discreet components and ICs are considered
pretty much obsolete. Find one with an open tuning cap and remove a plate
or two, or rewind the coils (too much work) or replace the enclosed tuning
cap with an open one. Add an 11 mhz osc and use the 455Kc IF stage and AM
detector.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

"Netgeek" wrote in message
I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a receiver
for
the VHF 108-118 Mhz band. I've found lots of great ideas and reference
designs
out there but they're all constructed of parts made from "unobtainium"
(e.g.
old
MC13135/6, MC1350, etc., etc.)...

Can anyone on this group point me to some designs/ideas for how to
construct
something made from "actually available" components???

Thanks for any help...