Old March 14th 05, 09:14 PM
Lucky

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message

1- The frequency display does not seem to follow the tuning knob. Almost
takes a second or two to catch up.

This appears to be normal. Also, there is about a 50mSec settling time for
the synthesizer if you tune in the fast mode by several MHz.

2- the selection buttons on the bottom have to be pressed NUMEROUS times
before the radio responds. Takes 10-12 fast pushes to change mode, tuning
steps, fast or slow tuning etc.

These things can possibly be cleaned. I just replaced the mode switch on
my unit. I believe that Digi-Key has the switch assemblies that you might
need. I will find out the part number later this week. I used another
switch assembly (same type, but square pushbutton) and used the keycap
from the original switch. I did, however, use the new contacter and spring
assembly. It takes about 15 minutes to change each switch. Make sure you
have a hot soldering tool to do this one; the plated through holes have a
tendency to suck the heat from low wattage irons.

3- There is a scratch on the display crystal (not the LCD, but the clear
plastic overlay)

0.7 micron lens polishing compound will clean this up. Be advised, though,
that the crystal seems to have a matte finish so you might end up with
something more shiny than the original crystal.

4- The Volume control knob and shaft came out. I can no longer use it to
turn the radio on or off and must do that by applying or diconnecting
external power in the back !!!

This control uses a collet type of knob.............this means that you
must first remove the cap from the knob assembly. Once this is done, there
is a Phillips type of screw that you must loosen. It would appear that
somebody tried to pull the knob off and removed the shaft in the process.

There you have it. I checked the Lowe web site and they clearly indicate
that they no longer ship/sell to the United States.

True.

I know this sounds a bit silly, but shortwave radio is my primary
hobby...I don't hang out in bars, play cards or anything else like
that...after a crappy day at work the radio is kinda' my escape...and my
crappy days at work are usually quite bad. I have one daughter in college
and another getting narried in two months, so, as you can imagine, I'm
broke.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thank you so much for your time.

John, KB2COP
thecop@o...

E-mail me directly if you really get stuck, and I will be glad to walk you
through some of the repair process. I just got through repairing and
aligning my own unit. It is a shame that too often, these things only come
up for sale after they no longer work properly. Don't worry...........your
unit can be restored fairly easily.

Pete

You know Pete,

I'm wondering if the frequency really needs a sec to catch up. The frequency
is actually changing in between the tuning rates. So you're not seeing those
steps displayed but you can hear the difference.

I'm glad you can help this guy out Pete. I feel badly for him. Stinkin
crooks on Ebay. I never pay for a radio without using a credit card. This
way you have some kind of recourse with these *******s.

Lucky