Old March 15th 05, 02:55 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Les
I see you have a R274C. I have a R274D/FRR by Hallicrafters with what
appears to be a factory for SSB with a set of three Collins mechancial
filters and 24 tubes. Ever hear or see of another as I'm looking for more
info?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Les" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Wilson wrote:
Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I'm curious as to what users have found when they use the general

coverage
in their ham transciever for SWLing and VLF. Has anyone made any

AB
comparisons to their SWL gen. cov. RX? Which ones seem to be best?

I know
Kenwood and Icom make SWL receivers that look much like a

transciever and
might even use the same circuitry, not sure about Yaesu though.

The Icom
R-75 looks a lot like the Icom 718 but the Rx has the PS built in.

I can't
recall the Kewood models. How about the Kenwood TS-2000 or Icom

756 Pro for
gen cov?
tnx

I really like the 756 PRO I bought used a few weeks ago. The MW has a

bit of attenuation....but that is ok except for weak signal daytime

use.

I think they are a real bargain at around $1100 - $1200. No SYNCRO

AM
however. I think the 746 PRO does have SYCRO AM though.

73 es DX Ken KG4BIG

I'll have to echo John's and Ken's sentiments on this one. I have a
friend who lives close by and we have compared the 756 Pro II with
several high end receivers. Other than some attenuation on mw and lw,
it is superb as a sw receiver. To my ear, the RX-340 sounds better, but
the 756 is as good in pulling in the tough signals. Of course, many
will not spend the money for a transceiver if they do not have an
amateur license, but many will. The colorful display is something to
see. Lots of information in that display!

Having owned many, many Drake receivers over the years, the news about
Drake getting out of the receiver business is not good news. But, we
should have known it was coming, shortwave receivers are but a drop in
the bucket of the electronics business.

Les Locklear
Monitoring since ' 57
Monitoring from the Gulf of Mexico