Old March 15th 05, 06:04 AM
Guy Atkins

"Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:54:24 -0800, running dogg wrote:

In the US anybody can own a ham transceiver - though only ham's are
licensed to operate (or be in direct control of) the transmitter.

Absolutely! That's why I bought a Yaesu FT-920 some years ago for TP
mediumwave DXing and tropical bands reception, and found it very good for
receive-only. With INRAD filters installed it was even better.

My current ICOM IC-756Pro is a great alternative to a tabletop receiver and
a fine used value at their current worth of $1200-1400. The receiver is
quiet, the DSP "brickwall" filters are excellent, and the useful spectrum
scope is a helpful tool and fun to use. I don't care if I never use the
transmitter portion... the rest of the radio is a great value for the DXer.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
mod. R-75 / mod. IC-756Pro
Kiwa MAP / ERGO