Old March 15th 05, 05:10 PM
Netgeek

From: "Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2"

HAH! I did **EXACTLY** that project back in 1996 or so.
snip
Used a 68HC000 for the CPU, and had a database of VOR stations burned
into the ROM.
All in all it was a fun project -- with lots of cool learning
experiences.

Sounds like a cool project! *MANY* years ago (circa 1984 or so?)
I had a plan to tear off the front panel of an RST radio I built and
replace it with a display, some controls and a zillion parallel bits to
replace all the thumbwheels switches - all driven by a Z80. I
eventually decided it would take way too long and didn't
accomplish much, besides just being a generally stupid idea 8-)..
So I sold the radio...

Now, twenty years later I'm playing with *this* project! All of
which proves that I now have way too much time on my hands and
I'm getting more stupid as I age 8-)......

Would like to hear more about your experiences. So, what would
you do differently if you were starting over?

I'm thinking that something like a cheapo DSP (or one of the new
dsPIC widgets) might be real handy. But first - I have to get past
the part where I have a reasonable RF front end! I really doubt that
the $40 Ramsey kit is going to do much but I bet I'll learn a few
things 8-)........