Old March 16th 05, 03:35 AM
Pete KE9OA

A McIntosh MR78 can handle that kind of environment. One of the tests that
McIntosh used to do was to inject a 12V interfering signal at a 10MHz offset
to make sure that it didn't cause an increase in distortion at the frequency
of the desired signal. It works very well in the Chicago area. A Luxman
T-110 was also good, as was a Nakamichi Model 430 tuner. There are several
good FM tuners on the market, including the Onkyo units that do the trick.
The early Magnum Dynalab FM tuners that had the discrete front ends were
also pretty good, but some of the models are using one of the Philips auto
radio chipsets, including the RF/Mixer section.
Whereas the FRG100 had those images breaking through on some of the MW
frequencies in my area, the AOR7030 didn't exhibit that characteristic. The
Lowe HF-150 doesn't have this problem either; nor does the Palstar R30. The
latter three units do have a 45MHz 1st I.F.
Nice work, Frank.

Pete

"Stephan Grossklass" wrote in message
schrieb:

Believe me this problem drove me crazy for a while. My QTH is
essentially "bathed" in the FM rf from 3 100 kW FM towers that are
within a 6 mile radius and line of sight with the house. This problem
seems to only occur in receivers with a 45MHz 1st IF.

Which would make images from +90 MHz possible, putting you straight into
FMBCB. Signals would only need to find a way around the 30 MHz lowpass
filtering, and there you have it. Your signal levels seem to uncover the
limits of the PCB layout and grounding, pretty hardcore if you ask me.
It would be interesting to know how a '7030 behaves in that kind of
environment. BTW, what kind of FM tuner can handle that kind of "bath"?
It would take at least something along the lines of an Onkyo T-4700, I
assume.

Stephan
--
Home: