Old March 16th 05, 02:08 PM
Michael Coslo

K4YZ wrote:

The following is from the ARRL website...I brought over the first
paragraphs as a starting point. The remainder may be read in it's
entirety at www.arrl.org.

My question: Is this even an issue?

Kind of. There is a wide gender gap between men and women in the
engineering fields.

But working in the field, they account for 9 percent of all U.S. engineers

There is a quote that shows up at several sites:

"Women still face gender-specific obstacles when studying and preparing
for careers in engineering and other sciences. There is solid evidence
that mentoring can help address this disparity" said Muller"

http://tinyurl.com/5lm92

Despite the prevalence of the quote, I'm not sure what the disparities are.

Or they can force 'em to go to "tech camp"

http://tinyurl.com/5m82m

Interestingly enough, there are High schools that place emphasis on
science and math. The enrollment in these schools is roughly equal,
gender wise. But the female students tend to gravitate to liberal arts,
medicine and law.

see
http://tinyurl.com/3umlf

Finally, I'm not sure what to think. I've discussed the issue with a
woman engineer I work with. Interestingly enough, she says she KNEW she
wanted to be an engineer from the time she was a kid. No forcing to go
to camps. She thinks the recruitment efforts are not going to work,
because one does not pick engineering like one may pick a major from a
school catalog.

Oh, and she says she hates being called a "Woman Engineer". "Engineer"
by itself will do just fine thank you!

A sample of one, of course, but perhaps a little telling.

Maybe people who are interested in engineering get tin to it for that
reason, and people who are not into engineering do other things.

- Mike KB3EIA -