Old March 16th 05, 06:13 PM
Ralph Mowery

"tom" wrote in message
news:LeZZd.695607$Xk.128464@pd7tw3no...
My other cohort suggested a ground-plane vertical, too. What's the deal
with ground plane verticals? It seems they are slightly mechanicaly more
complicated than a half wave dipole, but that's fine if there's some
advantage. Are they safer to use without an swr meter?

Make just about any kind of vertical with a vertical section of about 19.5
inches and use either 3 or 4 radials about 20 inches long drooping to around
45 degrees. You can also take two wires about 19 inches long and make a
vertical dipole. Feed the antenna with some rg-58 about 50 feet or more
long. The coax will have enough loss in it the swr as seen at the
transmitter will be low enough as not to worry. While I don't recommend
this as anythihng like an optimal antenna, it will get you on the air. That
is what I put up here when I moved in about a year ago and have not gotten
around to doing anything beter as I don't work 2 meter FM that much.