Old March 17th 05, 01:22 AM
Dee Flint

"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael Coslo wrote:

It seems to be the same with many technical careers or hobbies.

There
is a lot of effort to recruit women to the engineering ranks. But not

that many appear to be attracted to it.

Ditto meteorology. The American Meteorological Society had lots of
verbiage in the BAMS and a questionaire "what should we do to
attract..."

Time frame was 80's as I recall. I had hoped we had gotten past all
that by now. We've got women doctors, truck drivers, and weight
lifters. And even a movie about women boxers. It's time to drop the
"first woman to... whatever" stuff.

Perhaps we need to have tight control over this sort of thing. A
carreer / hobby lottery, so to speak. When you are in 6th grade, you
draw at random two things, a career slip and a hobby slip. And that

is
what ya train for and do from then on. Strict control will have to be

exercised in order to enforce gender equity!

The Gulag for the dissenters.

I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty goofy to me.

That there are less women in the ARS is true enough.

And?

But that is
interesting from a "why is that?" standpoint.

It's hard to tune them in on SSB.

It probably isn't so
interesting from a "how do we change Ham radio to attract more

women?"
aspect.

Reminds me of Larry Roll/K3LT and his "Welfare mothers of color"
remarks.

Dee or Kim might be able to shed some light on that, in form of "Why

am interested in Amateur radio" or perhaps some insight on why a lot

of
women aren't.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Whoa! I thought we weren't allowed to take anything Kim says
seriously? And Dee will merely spout the ARRL party line.

I do hope you meant to add a smiley to that.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE