Old March 16th 05, 09:12 PM

Pete - I just had to respond to your comment about the FRG-100 audio
mod. This is the 3rd FRG-100 I've had and it does not have the typical
"muddy" audio and it appears to be totally stock inside. I didn't even
do the mod because it sounds fine as it is. I did change the AM
wiiiiide filter to a more narrow one with better skirts and so far,
other than the input connector mod that's all I've "butchered" on this
100. BTW, I have an older Icom R-72 that I acquired off of Ebay and
it's an excellent receiver in my estimation. No FM problems at all.
Only drawback is they forgot to vent the cabinet!

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson (where desert wildflowers are everywhere now!)

Pete KE9OA wrote:
That's good...........it sounds like you are really in a strong

signal area.
Up here at our new location, things are pretty good. I think that the

worst
area in Illinois in in the Barrington area. WBBM, WMAQ, and WGN are

so
strong that external mixing spur occur in rusty rain gutters, etc. I

realize
that these are MW frequencies we are talking about vs. the FM band

image

frequencies, those
gremlins can become harder to tame.
I've still yet to do your audio mod to my FRG100................too

many
receivers. I might be picking up a
McKay-Dymek DR-33. It depends when my friend gets bored with it.

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
My FM receivers seem to be OK although one of the stations has an

image
due to the signal strength. Both the Palstar R30 and HF-150 that I

had
in the past had the same FM pickup problem but it was no where near

as
bad as the FRG-100 and it was only on a couple of frequencies if I
remember correctly. The interference could only be detected when

the
antenna was disconnected and one manually scanned the bands. By

using
the additional connector on the I put on the FRG's back panel along
with some toroidal filters on the 12V power cable I've reduced it

to a
tolerable level that only seems to be present if the antenna is
disconnected. I also added a few additional toroids at equal

places on
the power cable and that helped even more because they apparently

broke
the cable into smaller effective electrical lengths instead of the

full
physical length, which is, by the way a half-wavelength in the

lower
part of the FM band.

Frank

Pete KE9OA wrote:
A McIntosh MR78 can handle that kind of environment. One of the

tests
that
McIntosh used to do was to inject a 12V interfering signal at a

10MHz
offset
to make sure that it didn't cause an increase in distortion at the

frequency
of the desired signal. It works very well in the Chicago area. A

Luxman
T-110 was also good, as was a Nakamichi Model 430 tuner. There are

several
good FM tuners on the market, including the Onkyo units that do

the
trick.
The early Magnum Dynalab FM tuners that had the discrete front

ends
were
also pretty good, but some of the models are using one of the

Philips
auto
radio chipsets, including the RF/Mixer section.
Whereas the FRG100 had those images breaking through on some of

the
MW
frequencies in my area, the AOR7030 didn't exhibit that

characteristic. The
Lowe HF-150 doesn't have this problem either; nor does the Palstar

R30. The
latter three units do have a 45MHz 1st I.F.
Nice work, Frank.

Pete

"Stephan Grossklass" wrote in

message
schrieb:

Believe me this problem drove me crazy for a while. My QTH is
essentially "bathed" in the FM rf from 3 100 kW FM towers that

are
within a 6 mile radius and line of sight with the house. This

problem
seems to only occur in receivers with a 45MHz 1st IF.

Which would make images from +90 MHz possible, putting you

straight
into
FMBCB. Signals would only need to find a way around the 30 MHz

lowpass
filtering, and there you have it. Your signal levels seem to

uncover the
limits of the PCB layout and grounding, pretty hardcore if you

ask
me.
It would be interesting to know how a '7030 behaves in that kind

of
environment. BTW, what kind of FM tuner can handle that kind of

"bath"?
It would take at least something along the lines of an Onkyo

T-4700, I
assume.

Stephan
--