Old March 17th 05, 03:38 AM
Jon

Muskie

The answer to this is a simple one. Simply make a Slim Jim antenna using 300
Ohm feeder. Design it for 145MHz and then cut a 1" strip if metal from a
drinks can and wrap it around the antenna just above the coax feed point. By
sliding the metal strip up or down the antenna the resonant point will move
by 10 - 20MHz. I have used this design many times, you can mark the correct
point for marine band and for 2M the move the metal tuning thingy depending
on where you wish to Tx. The dimensions are not critical, I have built
several of these antennas for use on the marine band (ie too small for use
on 2m) but by sliding the tuning strip down the antenna it works great on
2m.

The antenna can be rolled up and put in your pocket when not in use and hung
from a tree any other suitable support when required. OK, it's going to be
bigger than 12" but so is a 1/4W antenna at this frequency.

Jon G2FHF

"muskie" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinkinig to make an antenna for the marine band (156mhz) and hooked
my vx-7r portable.

1. How could I make it to a reasonable carrying size (perhaps less than 12
inches)?

2. Is it possible to use the steel wire and put the heat shrink tube
outside?

3. Is the wire solder to the SMA core and no ground need?

Thanks,

Muskie