Old March 17th 05, 02:49 PM
Michael Lawson

"Jim" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:27:17 -0500, "Michael Lawson"
wrote:

Here would be a good test: on 5975, there's our old buddy,
the BBC. On 5980, there's RTV Marocaine (Morocco). On
the occasional days when the BBC isn't running on 5975,
I can listen to Moroccan music on 5980. However, the BBC
simply overwhelms my reception of Marocaine on most
days on my S800. Can an R8/R8A/R8B pull Marocaine out?
That, I don't know, but the tools to do it are there on the
R8's, whereas on the S800, you're rather limited to the sync
and the 6/4/2.3 bandwidths.

The outstanding sync on the S800 eliminates the need for all those
"tools" on the R8. Got a het? Gone with the sync. Splatter

from
a nearby blowtorch? Gone with the sync. The 6/4/2.3 bandwidths

are
identical to the R8's, BTW. The R8 also has 1.8 and .5, which are
pretty much useless except for code, and I don't listen to that.

BTW, the S800 passes your above BBC/Morocco test, in 5 seconds by
pressing a *single button*! The R8 can do it also, but only after

5
minutes of manual knob twiddling.

Not my Sat 800 running a 50' random wire through
a 9:1 transformer. Too much bleedover, even with the 4
bandwidth using USB sync. The 2.3 bandwidth is too
narrow for decent fidelity for me, unless I'm actively
listening with no distractions. If I want good enough
fidelity that the kids can dance to it, I want either 6 or
4, and 6 is hopeless and 4 is still too much.

I know which method *I* prefer. YMMV.

Ha. I've listened to enough broadcasts to know that
my S800 ain't perfect. Oh, it gets rid of some hets and
some splatter, and better than most portables and
portatops, but using the advanced tools on the
regular tabletop you can eliminate a heck of a lot more.
After all, if what you say were completely true, then
why do people pay cash for an IC-R75 or R8B or
NRD-545 or 7030?? Or why are some of the Kenwoods,
Icoms, JRC's and Drakes of the past so valued?

--Mike L.