Old March 18th 05, 05:18 PM

And one other very useful publication is Monitoring Times, available at
most Borders Bookstores and via the MT website
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/

Stephan Grossklass wrote:
schrieb:

Hello. I just got a PT-80, my second Sangean--I'm very happy with

the
WR-1 I've had for a year.

I've never used shortwave or longwave radio before, but I'd like

to.
This PT-80 picks up AM/FM fine but I can not get anything on SW or

LW
mode (just static or silence).

For longwave, that's not surprising given you're in the US. No AM
broadcasts on LW to be expected there. You might hear some beacons in
SSB mode, but that's about it. As for shortwave, well, it should be

more
lively there, particularly on 49 though 31 meters. If there's really
nothing around 6 MHz in the evening, then your PT-80 suffers from

severe
deafness.

I live in Washington State, is there a
particular website that lists what frequency I must tune the radio

in
order to hear anything?

This one might be of help:
http://www.dxing.com/tuning.htm
Additionally, you might appreciate a book like the Passport to World
Band Radio.

Also, if I push the "BAND" button the radio
rotates through AM/FM/SW/LW but not MW. The instructions indicate

that
MW is picked up with the PT-80.

g What's commonly called the "AM broadcast band" *is* MW. It's

right
between longwave and shortwave, thus mediumwave.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W