Old March 19th 05, 02:09 AM
Edward Knobloch

Hi, Edward

OK, it sounds like you are making progress on figuring out
the built-in push to talk relay. I'm a little surprised
that the relay opens in "stand-by" position of the mode switch.
The standard way they wire the push to talk relay coil
is to get the d.c. voltage for the coil from the fixed 300V d.c.
supply in the transmitter (through a dropping resistor
to get the right voltage). The relay should normally
have its coil supply voltage present on one side of the coil
whenever the TX is on. Why don't you trace down where the guy
supplied the d.c. for the relay coil? Does the relay
coil have about 150 V d.c. across it when turned on?

The "tune" position of the Ranger is used to set up the proper
grid drive. You should then dip the final plate current in "phone"
position using the final tune knob.

Yes, you should hear the signal in your receiver
when you are in "tune" mode (with rcvr antenna near the Ranger).
It may be that the Ranger's VFO
calibration is not quite right, and you are not putting out a signal
at the frequency indicated by the dial. That is easily fixed.

You say that you are getting proper grid drive (around 2 mA
on a 0 to 10 ma "grid" meter scale), but the TX doesn't load.
Do you mean that the final plate current stays high
and doesn't vary when you adjust
the final tune knob, or are you now getting no final plate current
at all?

If no final plate current in a.m. or c.w. mode,
you may have burnt open the 30K Ohm
power resistor that connects between the 6146 screen (pin 3)
and the high voltage supply. If you transmitted with no antenna
connected, 6146 screen current could have been excessive, causing
that 30K resistor to open.

Have you got the Ranger operating manual?
You really need to carefully follow the manual procedure
for tuning to avoid potentialy harming the rig.

Also, you should download a copy of the Ranger II manual,
where it spells out Johnson's recommended push to talk relay
circuit (pages 18 and 19 of the Ranger II manual).

You say that someone added an on/off switch to the front panel,
associated with the internal push to talk relay.
I'm afraid you'll have to trace it out to see what his intentions
were, this isn't any sort of standard mod that I know of.
Some Rangers are used as rf and audio drivers for
high power transmitters. It may be that he added a switch
so that the Ranger could be used barefoot or as an exciter.

Have you checked out the a.c. antenna relay power jack
on the back panel? Is that controlled by the push to talk relay?

Do you have an dummy load and an rf Wattmeter?
It's best to use a dummy load until you are sure
that the transmitter is putting out power
where you want it, within the band.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Edward wrote:
Ed
The relay appears to be grounded to the mic jack.
The added relay clicks when main switch is moved from stand-by to
phone or to CW position.
The function switch contacts on TX does not appear to be burned.
There is also a on/off switch? added to front panel that appears to be
wired to relay , however, tt has no affect in eather position.
It gets proper grid current but will not load.
It gets no sound in tune position, should a signal be heard in RX set
to same freq, as TX ?
When I first blew fuse due to improper loading, is there a possibility
I also blew a tube that affects ability to load the TX ?
Thanks, Ed, for assisting me with my problems.
Edward