Old August 29th 03, 10:16 PM
Charles Wittnam

"W5DXP" wrote in message
Charles Wittnam wrote:

I have an off center fed dipole that was made by Antennas and More. I

am
very aware of the hype surrounding the overblown claims for such

antennas
and their inherent problems. (radiating feed lines, etc. ) What I was

not
ware of is the problems with getting basic information about the antenna
from the "manufacturer." What I have is a 132 foot off center fed

dipole
they refer to as the Windom HSQ. What I am trying to decipher is what
type of balun they are using. In their literature they refer to a 1 to

1.
This can not be. From the location of their balun which is about 48

feet
from one end, I am guessing that they are trying for the illusive 200

ohm
impedance point for 80 meters and that the balun may be a 2:1. This
company does NOT return any calls. I was trying to figure if I could cut
this antenna down to a 40 meter version, which might be possible with a

2:1
balun, but not a 4:1. Anyone have any experience with this type of
antenna?

The balun is probably a 4:1 and the antenna should work pretty well on
40m with an antenna tuner without any cutting. Borrow an MFJ-259B and
see where it is resonant.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP