Old March 19th 05, 02:45 PM

Roy Lewallen wrote:
wrote:

Hi Roy, I'm OK with 319+j0 half way up the coil, but at 20% of the

way
up I keep getting 50+j50. I did it on the Smith Chart, and on a

Spice
based circuit analysis program. Too old to do this stuff by hand.
That's not a real good match for 50 ohm coax. The are other taps

that
will provide a better match, but no where did I find 50+j0.
In an earlier post I stated that it looked like the real part of

the
antenna impedance needed to be less than 50 ohms to get a perfect
match, using this method.
The impedance across the whole coil is not purely resistive, it

is at
the 50% point. Apparently I am modeling incorrectly, or missing
something.
Gary N4AST

In SPICE, what coefficient of coupling did you specify between the
portion of coil below the tap and the portion above the tap? The
autotransformer impedance relationship I gave is strictly true only

for
a coefficient of coupling = 1. A real inductor will be a little less,

but 1 is a decent approximation for a real solenoid of typical
proportions for this application.

I'm curious how you handled coupled inductors on the Smith chart -- I

don't believe I've ever seen it done.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Hi Roy, This is where I am probably missing the boat. In both models,
I used 2 separate inductors, the sum of both being the required
inductance, in this case .35uh. I assumed that the tapped coil could
be modeled this way. I see now that this is not an auto-transformer,
it is simply 2 inductors.
The Smith Chart program has a standard transformer feature, and after
you cancel out the reactance, a transformer with a ratio of 1:0.2 gives
50 ohms. The Spice program has coupled inductors, but I will have to
do a little research to see if I can apply them to this model.
Thanks for the explanation, and thanks to others who replied by email
with suggestions.
Gary N4AST