Old September 27th 03, 03:15 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
David Stinson wrote:

Ed Price wrote:
At work, I am getting ZERO Swens. But at home, that's completely
different. I have a cable connection through Cox, and I'm getting 75 to 100
Swens per day. (The first couple of days, I had over a hundred per day.)

You guys got it easy. I'm still getting several hundred per day.
I have my email program set to download every two minutes- only way to
keep the server from bouncing good emails. Then my filters
dump the garbage. Is this thing just local to radio-related usenet
users?
I'd think if it were global, you'd hear more news stories about it.

It's hitting practically everybody that *posts* to USENET netnews. That,
however is getting to be a 'vanishingly small' portion of the entire
'internet community' Probably 75% (or more) of today's internet users
have never even _heard_ of USENET to them "the internet" consists of the
World-Wide-Web, and *maybe* (for the 'advanced' users) direct use of
email. for -lots- of people, the only form of e-mail they know is web-mail.

The vast majority of people who use USENET are 'savvy' enough that the
reaction to _this_ virus,is just "oh boy, here we go, again." Emphasis
on "again". It's a nuisance. A d*mn nuisance. But, nothing worth getting
all worked up over.

Its getting a fair amount of coverage in various _technical_ media, but
it's not affecting enough of the 'mainstream' "internet user" community
to get mainstream press play.

The system/network admin and operations types are _very_ aware of what's
going on. Internet traffic volume for email has climbed back out of the
'noise'.