Old March 20th 05, 05:38 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

Default Radio Software Induced Madness

They say that you can't lose somthing that you don't have, but I am
living proof to the contrary.

I am losing my mind. It shouldn't take long, there isn't much of it.

I have a Yaesu FRG-100 and I downloaded free software for it, but it only
works on the CAT interface. I don't have the cable.

I have the Icom R-75 and I downloaded shareware software for it that
works with the serial interface on the radio (RX Plus), but it has
expired. Nice stuff, I want to purchase, but the ability of the software
to function is based on the "Register to" name for my computer, which is
a long series of numbers, as I bought this laptop from Gateway. Not
really a problem, unless I need to reload Windows and the "Registered
to" name changes. Then the software won't work. I would be out $80.

I downloaded a freeware program for the Icom R-75, looks impressive, Ham
Radio Deluxe, but it only works with the CAT interface. I don't have the
cable.

I am looking for scanner software for my Uniden 785D, I found a nice
site, looks like good software, I think that I tried the trialware
version of it in the past. (When I had a different computer). The site
says that it won't work with USB to Serial converters, that the computer
must have a serial port, and I don't have one.

Why is there such difficulty in supporting USB to Serial converters? Why
the fetish with the CAT interface on the Icom R-75 when it has a serial
port?

Is there any reasonably priced software for the Icom R-75 and the Uniden
785D that would work with the Computer's USB to Serial interface and the
Radio's serial ports?

Thanks.

Dr. Artaud