Old March 21st 05, 10:15 PM
Markus Baertschi

Mark wrote:
I need to buy an external High Gain Antenna to plug into my mobile
phone. I need to operate the phone in a very remote area, where the
signal is at best, only one bar on the display. I will mount the
antenna on a pole on the roof, so I will need advise on cable as well.
Can anybody tell me where to buy such a beast, thanks.

Most mobile phone accessory shops have external antennas for sale. These
antennas are designed for use in a car, but work fine without. The cable
is not very long (2-4m), but adding a chunk of 50Ohm RG58-type cable is
possible. I'd cut the cable close to the antenna to preserve a decent
bit of the original cable (with the connector matching your phone) on
the phone side for comfort.
If you know where the closest base station is than you can add a
parabolic reflector and aim for it to increase the signal. Just google
for wifi and parabolic and scale according to the frequency you use. If
you are using the 800 or 900 Mhz bands the reflector can get quite large
though.

Markus