Old March 22nd 05, 02:09 AM
Darrell

You miss the point. Drake didn't buy their tubes from the surplus market.
They bought them bulk packaged from the manufacturer. It did make sence
from their standpoint and it didn't compromise the product. From a
boatanchor standpoint I wish they had used 6146's. But when put in their
shoes in 1963, it was a good business decision.

Most horizontal output tubes have distortion products comparable to the
6146 if you keep the voltage and power down to reasonable levels. Third
order products are typically in the -25 Db range which is right in there
with the 6146.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

"RadioGuy" wrote in
:

Darrell wrote in message

According to my Radio Handbook (Orr) 18th. edition (1970) on page 383:

"To date, the use of inexpensive TV-type sweep tubes as linear
amplifers in amateur SSB gear has been acceptable, regardless of the
rather high level of distortion inherent in these tube types."

I checked the spare parts price list for my TR-4 (January 1, 1977) on
the price of the 6JB6---$4.83. This seems to be in the same price
class as the 6146 not to mention that the 6146 tubes were commonly
available as surplus from military or commercial services.

I also operated RTTY with my TR-3 but I had a blower on my tubes.

RG