Old March 22nd 05, 04:27 AM
Buck

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:26:42 -0800, "John Smith"
wrote:

My question(s):

For an example, on the 10 meter band:
If I take a 28" whip and mount it at the end of helical wound coil (wound on
1" diameter form), where the "wire length" of the coil, PLUS, the length of
the whip (28" + coil wire length) is equal to 1/2 wavelength (electrical
length)--BUT, the overall physical length of the antenna (top, tip of whip
to base of helical wound coil) is 1/4 wavelength, what would the radiation
pattern of such an antenna be?

Would it favor the pattern of a 1/4 or 1/2 wave antenna--or, would the
pattern be a compromise between the two--or, would the pattern be totally
unrelated to either?

What could I expect the impedance of such an antenna be? Would the
reactance be capacitive or inductive? What would be the best way to provide
a match to 50 ohm coax from such an antenna?

What software is available to model such an antenna?

Thanks in advance,
warmest regards

EZNec will model your antenna. As for the antenna, I believe that the
shortened 1/2 wave antenna will radiate with less effect than a
stretched 1/2 wave, but possibly better than a 1/4 wave. How much?
That depends on the coil and the matching network pending losses.

Good luck,
Buck
N4PGW

--