Old March 23rd 05, 02:31 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in
:

Having forestalled my purchase of RX Plus (I used the Demo period, very
nice program), due to my concerns about not being able to use the program
on a future computer, I happened to download HAM Radio Deluxe.

Superb. Has anyone here tried it? I use the Icom R-75, (among others, but
for the sake of discussion), with the serial port connection to my
laptop. Well, to be more specific, the R-75 Serial connection to the USB
on my laptop.

Anyway, it was my understanding that I needed a CAT connection to use HAM
Radio Deluxe, but apparently not. I had a friend (his DSL vs. my Dial UP)
download the CD Image (image being a compilation of files, not a
picture), initially a zip file 69 MB in size, that is unzipped onto the
CD, producing a CD suitable for distribution (at HAM clubs, to friends,
etc, but it must be distributed free). Loaded it onto my computer, and
ran the program, figuring that I could learn something about it before
purchasing the CAT adapter. I was astonished to see that the display in
HAM Radio Deluxe had the same frequency as my radio, which was on at the
time. Moved the volume control in the program, and the radio grew silent.
Moved it the other way, louder. It was actually working.

http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/index.html

This program is great. I downloaded the version 3.0, but I think that in
order to have the bandscope, the Beta version 3.1 Build 579 or later is
needed.
http://www.ham-radio.ch/kits/CD%20Im...CDv031b579.zip

The official released version, 3.0 Build 531
http://www.ham-radio.ch/kits/CD%20Im...CDv030b531.zip

Though I had a CD made of the Official Release version, downloading and
installing the Beta Kits, available here, brought the software up to the
level I needed for the bandscope.
http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/downloads.html#Beta_Kits
They are 7 MB in size, and simply install over the existing software.

Anyway, all the controls seem to be available and functioning. This
through the USB port, to a USB to Serial converter that I bought through
RT systems (they sell Amateur Radio Software).

It has to be seen to be believed. There is literally too much to write
about. Bandscope (in versions 3.1 Build 579 and up) volume, squelch, Dual
Passband Tuning Controls, RF Gain, NR Level, and much more. And it's
free. Kudos to the writers of this great program.

Dr. Artaud