Old March 24th 05, 06:39 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:23:34 +0800, "muskie"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinkinig to make an antenna for the marine band (156mhz) and hooked to
my vx-7r portable.

1. How could I make it to a reasonable carrying size (perhaps less than 12
inches)?

2. Is it possible to use the steel wire and put the heat shrink tube
outside?

3. Is the wire solder to the SMA core and no ground need?

Thanks,

Muskie

You can make a coaxial antenna using coax cable. Take RG-58 for
example. Cut off the outside jacket about 20 inches from the end.
Make a small hole in the shield brade and pull out the center
insulator and conductor. Cut both the center conductor and braid to
about 18 inches in length. Then tape the braid to the side of the
coax cable. Make some sort of hook on the top of the center conductor
and hook it, or maybe tape it, to a high place. The antenna will be
effectively a vertical dipole. They work great.